"Anatomy of a Living Room . . . "


Greetings,

I know I'm working a little out of sequence here (in spite of the chilly weather we've been having) - but, I'm kind of in the midst of a serious spring cleaning here in the office.  Sorting random fabric samples.  Filing paperwork.  And looking through pictures of previous projects.  I thought I'd share a bit of background of one of our projects - you might recognize this image from our project in East Hampton.  This will always be one of my favourite residences.  The house was amazing.  The owners were previous clients - and it's always a bit easier working with return clients.  We can always speak in a little bit of a shorthand when discussing the house. 

So here's a little peek at the house - while it was in progress. 

The first step was to deliver all the existing furniture from a previous home into the new residence.  And we had a super-busy couple of days just getting everything sorted and placed.   We'd done a somewhat thorough space-plan in advance - but, it was great just seeing everything fitting into place.  And getting a strong notion for the holes that needed to be filled with additional furniture and accessories. 


This was followed by yours truly just working my way slowly through the house with my big yellow legal pad (I've always been a kinda pen and paper kinda guy.  I love making lists.  And crossing things off!), my tape measure, and a camera (because no one's memory is as good as it used to be) - but, it was good to feel organized.  They grey, late-winter light wasn't doing us any favours . . . but, summer was on the way - and we had to get everything done before then.


Notes.  Notes.  And more notes.  "I kinda don't like the back of the sofa facing the main entrance.  Maybe we should flip this layout, with the sofa on the other side of the room?"  "Let's try to find a simple console for behind the sofa - and move that large blue & white lamp into it."  "Oooooo . . . maybe a little pair of chinoiserie chests to flank the fireplace?"  "And, of course, some new decorative pillows?"  "Wait.  When are they coming to finish hanging the window treatments?  And I hate that colour.  Weren't they supposed to be white?"

plotting. 

Then . . . just cast your thoughts a few months into the future . . . with summer sunlight streaming through the numerous french-doors.  The house alive with the sounds of children playing in the pool and the living room all ready for family gatherings and entertaining.  


The sofa is SO much better over here!   And I love that we were able to dress the room with fresh flowers from the gardens. 

We had a great afternoon filling the oversized antique bookcase with vintage artwork and specimens from the sea.  There was a proper library across the hallway - so this space was able to be used more decoratively - and not function exclusively as book storage.

And as with many of my rooms . . . multiple layers of lighting.  Wall sconces flanking the fireplace.  Table lamps.  Floor lamps.  And - all on dimmers.  You know I love my dimmers. 


Back to cleaning,
Scot

Comments

Merlin said…
What a treat to "see things" through your eyes (and lists!) franki
Diogenes said…
Hi Tart & Scot (said with affection),

I cannot believe how great this room looks. The same objects rearranged and re-staged tranform it completely. And best of all it does not look too "done."

Popular Posts